Friday, August 12, 2011

Exterior Paint Colors: Umber, Dapper Tan, and Macadamia

Collages20-2

Happy Friday, everyone! Today I’m adding another segment to Favorite Paint Colors that I hope will help those of you who are building a home or looking into repainting. It’s not a fun process and so nerve wracking trying to pick an exterior color because everyone who drives or walks by gets to see the outside of your house, where as the interior you can hide a little more, right? And we all know those houses where you drive by and think, really, Pepto Bismol Pink (or whatever other ugly color they picked out – sorry if anyone out there has a house that color). But it’s nice to see what other people have done, just like it is with the inside of your home, so we’re kicking off this segment, and ending the week, with the colors my parents chose for their home.

Here are their colors:
1. Their trim, which is the darkest color on their house is Umber by Sherwin Williams.
2. The gables are painted Dapper Tan by Sherwin Williams.
3. And the main body is Macadamia by Sherwin Williams.

IMG_1260

IMG_1284

IMG_1285

IMG_1286

IMG_1289

IMG_1290

IMG_1291

If you have want to share the colors you have chosen for the exterior of YOUR home, please send them to me. I would love to see them and I know others would too who are in this circumstance. Also, tell me how you picked them out. I know my parents drove around looking at a lot of houses and finally found one they liked and used trial and error trying to match the colors.
For now, Fridays are going to be dedicated to exterior colors. I have more to show you  - thank you to those of you who have submitted!
We are on our way home to Illinois today. How I’m going to miss this Big Sky Country, but I’m excited to show you our new house when we get settled in. Boy do I want to paint!  Smile
Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Love that you're doing home exterior colors on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are doing this as a new feature. Last year when I painted my house I had no idea how hard it is to pick the right color for outside. I used to drive by houses and wonder why in the world they painted their house a hideous bright color. Now I know why. Because colors appear far brighter outside. When I painted my house...I was not worried about picking the color....I'm good with color...and I knew exactly how I wanted it to look. I knew what color I wanted. So I picked out the color and had the painter who had said when I picked it that I would not like it. I told him I knew I would. Sure enough....he started painting it and I HATED it. It looked like baby blue....it was not at all what I thought it would look like and now I know why people make mistakes with exterior colors. In general...you need to go much grayer than you'd think - no matter what the color is you go with...it needs to be drab...because once on the house and in the sunlight...it will not look drab. Twelve sample colors later...I decided on the perfect color. And this was with me knowing what color I wanted.

    Last spring a friend of mine was getting her house painted. She wanted me to come over and see the color she chose. I said..."you won't like that." It's going to be way too bright green. She said she KNEW that was the color she wanted. I said...please do as I say get a sample first...she had the painter there all ready to paint. I said "get a sample and then get two more samples darker and grayer" At that point she told me to go with her. I did and forced her to get paint that was way darker and grayer than she ever imagined. I also suggested a sample even darker and grayer but she refused...sure enough the color she thought was going to be perfect....was neon green on the house. The two darker shades we picked still to bright. She ended up going back again and getting the final darker shade I'd pushed for. She ended up thanking me for keeping her from making a huge mistake. She'd almost picked the neon green and left the painter to paint for the day. She would have had to had the whole thing repainted.

    Outside colors are hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, thanks so much for your blog. I have "issues" choosing paint colors and it's so helpful to see finished results. When I first saw Dapper Tan I first shuddered and then laughed... I've had a nightmarish experience with Dapper Tan (interior) and in my circle of friends any kind of "go ahead and paint without using sample boards and then cringe when the color turns out horribly wrong" episode will forever be known as a Dapper Tan Moment.

    It does look nice on your mom's home, though. Is it in the Gallatin Valley? Looking beyond the home at the Montana landscape tugs at my Bozeman native heartstrings.

    Anyway, thanks again for putting together your blog. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nita - thank you so much for the great tips on picking out paint for your exterior! I love what you said about going darker and grayer and telling us about your friends experience. So good to know and I guess the people's homes I go by and think UGLY, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the paint color just didn't turn out the way they thought. :)

    Shelley - that's too funny about Dapper Tan. I've never seen it used in on an interior room but think we all have had "Dapper Tan" moments when not sampling! My parents live in the Missoula valley, and oh how I miss it already. No place compares to Montana, I guess that's why they call it "The Last Best Place". Thanks so much for your comment and for stopping by, I love finding fellow Montanans!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. If you have a paint color to submit, please e-mail me directly at favoritepaintcolors@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you! Have a great day.